Subject: W.O.'s Cosi fan tutte
From: Lynne Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Mar 1996 14:02:59 -0500

Let me introduce myself, as I'm a new subscriber to Opera-L.  My name is
Lynne Price, living in Frederick, Maryland.  I'm a Latin and French
teacher in the public schools here, and a casual opera goer.  I have been
attending more regularly with my friend Susan Peters (also on Opera-L);
unfortunately, she had the nerve to move down to Atlanta, but she made it
up to the area for two weekends of opera at the Kennedy Center.

Last night we attended the opening night of the WO's final opera of the
season, Cosi fan tutte.  Visually it was a beuatiful performance, with
lacy costumes and good sets. Richard Croft (Dwayne's brother) sang
Ferrando lustily, as did Andrew Schroeder (Guglielmo)--both are young and
made fine appearances as the young soldiers.  Pamela Coburn (Fiordigili)
and Delores Ziegler (Dorabella) sang well as the sisters, although I felt
Ziegler did a better job.  Jan Grissom was a suitably coy Despina, and
Paolo Montarsolo was OK as Don Alfonso.  Nevertheless, the production
lacked sparkle; the orchestra sounded good, but there seemed to be lots
of down time between arias and ensemble singing, making for a sluggish
pace.  Normally, there are those who rise at the curtain calls, but not
one person was on his or her feet at the end of this performance.
Someone in our row loudly booed the director Roman Terleckyj when he
appeared!  I understand Placido Domingo was in attendance for the
performance, although I didn't see him; he's in town today for a gala
benefit performance at the Kennedy Center.

Does anyone know whatever happened to Leona Mitchell?

Baltimore Opera's last opera of the season opened last night with
The Pearl Fishers, with John Aler singing the role of Nadir; I'm off to
that one Wednedsday night, so perhaps you'll hear from me again this week.

Have a good week everyone; I'm happy to be a part of Opera-L!

Lynne Price