Subject: Re: Soviero's Butterfly
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 Mar 1996 18:09:07 -0500

Nuala talks about what has happened to Soviero's voice.
I saw a TRAVIATA much earlier in her career, and all
the same defects were there as we heard today.  And,
it wasn't *that* long ago.  So, if she ever had a vocal
heyday, it must have been very brief, because she didn't
have it then, and she doesn't have it now.

I do agree that there was a strong emotional core to
the performance, but it is hard to be driven to tears
by a soprano who is imitating Leontyne Price on a *bad*
day.

Marc Shepherd
Home: [log in to unmask]
Work: [log in to unmask]