Subject: Re: Gianni Schicchi in hell
From: "Pierre M. Bellemare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Mar 1996 15:52:49 -0500

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Alain Letort wrote:

> I think it was very unfair of Dante to place
> Gianni Schicchi in hell.  Buoso Donati's hideous
> relatives deserve everything they get, and if the
> money Gianni extorts from them is used to set up
> Lauretta & Rinuccio, so much the better!  Send Gianni
> up with the angels, I say!

I have to disagree with my friend Alain here. Personally, I am very
pleased that Dante placed Schicchi in hell. Otherwise, we would never
have heard of the man and his deeds, and Puccini would never have written
his delightful one-acter!

Is Schicchi really burning in hell? I do not know (maybe Alain should ask
Mefistofele...), but I hope not!

Pierre M. Bellemare