Subject: Re: What? *^|#@$% etc. Someone Likes Sharon Sweet?
From: "Gaston C. Maurin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Mar 1996 13:54:51 +0000

> Which leads me to a comment; how seriously should we take criticsm by
> people who just know that SOMETHING was no good, when they haven't
> even heard it?  UGH!  They should buy a lottery ticket; seems they
> would do quite well.  Enough!

Well, maybe she's just inconsistent, but I don't think so. I heard
her live as Aida in Dallas; in Ritorna Vincitor, we got:

Ritorna Vincitor! (Chop)
E dal mio labbro usci (Breath) l'empia parola (Chop)

In "O Patria Mia," not a single not was sung below mezzo-forte, there
was no portamento, no grace, no beauty, only that big, fat voice.
Dallas audiences voted her "Debut Artist of the Year." They heard the
same thing I did. All I can conclude is, that if the voice is big
enough, all else is forgiven.

As Houston's Leonora, which I also heard live, we got:

D'amo sull'ali rosee (Chop)
Vanne sospir (Breath) dolente (Chop)
Del prigioniero (Breath) ...etc.

Houston hasn't invited her back. Wonder what that says.

Her commercial recording of the Verdi "Requiem" is stunningly
beautiful. Others have found her wonderful in isolated events.
Perhaps the Requiem is her greatest role. It requires a beautiful
voice, and acting of only the most rudimentary sort; the emotions
expressed are pretty generalized, and have little to do with
interacting with other humans on stage. Perhaps relating to the
divine is a great talent; I pay for opera tickets to see singing
actors breath life into characters and relate to each other in the
context of the drama. Maybe Sweet should stick toligurgical music
which seems to be what she does best.

All IM perhaps not H enough O.

Cheers,

Gaston C. Maurin              Phone: (214-554-0803)
1504 Old Orchard Drive
Irving, TX  75061-7865
EMAIL: [log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]