Subject: Re: Opera Conductor WANTED!!
From: Nobuyuki Agematsu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Mar 1996 10:54:01 CST

Masaki Yano <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> The only person who can decide how to make this evening is
> conductor, don't you agree?

Sorry, but I am afraid if I could not agree with his opinion.  It
really depends on one's taste, but I would not be pleased with
mediocre singers and a terrible orchestra even if a conductor is
superb enough.

Giulini's "Falstaff" on DGG must be a good example.  He finely digs
out the score and still presents a macroscopic approach.  He is my
favorite "Falstaff" conductor, *yet* I am not delighted with this
recording.  The Los Angeles Philharmonic rather fails to follow his
direction, and its sound has a hardness.  Moreover, as far as I am
concerned, many singers on this recording are not satisfying at
all.  (I like Nucci's handsome Ford, however.)

Giulini has made a magnificent "Rigoletto" on DGG.  Indeed, his
conducting is terrific, *and* the singers and the orchestra are
marvelous on this set.  Thus, I rather think that we need not only
a good conductor but also excellent singers and orchestras.

I, however, would agree with Masaki in some degree if we only talk
about symphonic repertories.

My 2 lire worth, anyway.

Yuki
--