Subject: Re: Living links to opera past
From: "Robert T. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Mar 1996 07:50:52 EST

Darlene LeFaive <[log in to unmask]> was appealing for info re Lawrence
Tibbett to relay to a 94-year-old lady in a nursing home.

I have no info for her, but I am now wondering if any Listers can shed any
light on a lifelong mystery in my own musical life.  My mother (who has been
gone for many years now) never tired of describing a concert Rosa Ponselle
gave in a southern city (in south Carolina) many years ago. Mother loved
telling about Ponselle's encore.  It was a song about a girl who told a
young man she would marry him only when apples grew on a rosebush (I'm not
too clear on the fruit or the type of bush!).  And the next morning he
looked out the window and there she was, tying apples on the bush.

Does anybody know what that song could have been?  And who wrote it?  And if
anybody ever recorded it?

  -- Robert T. Jones ([log in to unmask])
"All these are the days my friends and these are the days my friends"