Subject: Re: Pavarotti Minus Addendum/Lieder Recitals
From: "Robert T. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Mar 1996 07:48:39 EST

>The singer has to sell the song by him/herself. The great song recitals I have
> attended, by Schwarzkopf, Crespin, Olivero, Ludwig, Baker, Pears, Kraus, Prey,
> Fischer-Dieskau and Moll have all been marked by absolutely no physical shtick
> other than an occasional turn of the head, roll of the eyes or a smile. The
> audience in each case found that quite sufficient.

That's all true enough, but there are exception, and those exceptions are
great ones. Chaliapin is reported to have done everything but turn
somersaults during his concerts. And I clearly remember Galina Vishnevskaya,
accompanied by Rostropovich, in a recital at Avery Fisher Hall: she sang the
"Songs & Dances of Death" and freely stalked a large area of the stage,
actually dancing several times!  I assure you nobody smiled, for it was
quite bloodcurdling!

  -- Robert T. Jones ([log in to unmask])
"All these are the days my friends and these are the days my friends"