Subject: Re: Suor Angelica
From: Giovanni Christen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Mar 1996 18:04:56 +0000

Alain Letort answered to my post about Suor Angelica's ending:
>the wrong place, she will see Schicchi's nose for
>eternity there. <<<<<
>
>IMHO, Giovanni has got the meaning of the opera all
>wrong.  The age where people believed other people
>would go to hell for conceiving as child out of wedlock
>has long passed.  Not even Puccini believed it.

Puccini was an atheist (the like Verdi was) but Suor Angelica was a
noun in year 1600. Maybe she still thought that selfmurder is a deadly
sin?

While dying Suor Angelica did not realize that she had conceived a child
out of wedlock. She knew it. She realized that poison was not a way for
joining her son in paradise. A shorter way, but leading to the wrong place.

That is the dramatic peak of the finale. Then comes the Madonna forgiving
her. The last coup de theatre, really unexpected from Puccini... But where
is the evidence that it was a real apparition of the Madonna? The Catholic
Church asks for witness before aknowledging that kind of miracles. I would
be prudent too.

Alain, are you sure you had got the meaning of the opera all right?

Giovanni Christen