Subject: Sweet in Forza
From: Nuala Hallinan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Mar 1996 20:54:25 EST

James Edmonds says:

>N.B. Also last week while in Apple town, I heard the Forza with Domingo,
>Chernov, Sweet, et. al. What a wonderful performance from Domingo, who does
>not disappoint. What a mess from Sharon Sweet, who did disappoint. She
>doesn't have the bottom of her range, and she sings like she started out as a
>feelingless hermit, not became one from passion. She was out of her depth
>with that cast.

Well, this seems like as good a time as any to say that I do not see
why everyone is down on Sweet. She has a very secure top and complete
control over it. She did some very nice things with certain phrases
(I can't remember exactly where, right now). The voice is even all the
way up, the bottom is clean and full enough. The only issues I see
are a sort of fuzzy sound in the middle (which I'm not convinced is
a problem of technique at all, but rather the quality of the voice
itself), and a rather uninvolved performance. I don't think she's
any worse than many a large Leonara who floated across the stage
in billowy costumes in the golden age of the 60's.

I really don't understand what it is about her that illicits such
strong and flat-out negative comments. I mean, considering the other
singers around today. To me it was worth the price of admission to
be able to sit back in my seat, confident that she would hit all the
notes, that she was in control of her instrument, that she could
diminuendo from those high notes. I wish I could feel that confident
about other, less-maligned singers...

I suppose I'm going to regret this.

Nuala Hallinan (Nu-la)