Re: "The Dark Side" (fwd)

Harold Byrnes <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Mar 1996 04:40:33 -0500

text/plain

I have been dealing with Berkshire Record Outlet for more years than I can
remember, and have also visited both their previous and present stores
frequently, having had a camp only a few miles away. Over the years, I have
come to know Joe Eckstein and many of his staff very well, and I have always
been treated courteously. I remember one occasion when I had to return a CD
to the store, since for some reason it wouldn't play at all on my machine.
Joe personally tried to play several other copies of the same recording on
his own equipment, and found that there was something wrong with all of them.
He thanked me for calling the problem to his attention and stated that the
defective recording would immediately be removed from his catalog. He also
stated that he would try to have anyone trying to order a copy from an
already issued catalog warned of the problem.

Knowing Joe as well as I do, I know he can be a bit of a curmudgeon who
really gets upset about customers he considers to be a pain, since I have
been witness to several of his anti-customer outbursts. I'm not trying to
defend his behavior, but in his case I wouldn't call it bad business policy,
since I'm willing to bet that even a number of you who have led the outcry
against him will still want to place orders for the desireable material he is
able to obtain at the relatively low prices he asks. Hal