Subject: Leonie Rysanek speaks!
From: William Prien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 1995 20:18:47 -0800

   We were delighted to be in the audience tonight for a marvelous
interview with Madame Rysanek (at Lincoln Center).  She spoke about
several periods in her illustrious career as well as about her favorite
roles.  Interestingly, she revealed that there were many difficulties
(especially early on) with Wieland Wagner, but that she gained much
from working with him.  It turned out to be her idea to sing the
Countess in Pikovaya Dama at the Met; she requested it as her farewell
role there.  At first it was not granted and then, voila!
   Perhaps the most unusual revelation was that, early in her career,
Mme. Rysanek sang "Louise"!!!  This was in German and she mentioned
that the cast was appropriate for "Goetterdaemmerung".  Knappertsbusch
was the conductor!!!!  Does anyone have a tape of this??? Interesting,
no?
   One interesting tidbit-Leonie once gave a Lieder recital in
   Miss Rysanek's warmth, humor, and intelligence shone like bright
suns.  She looked lovely as well.  All in all, a great treat.
We will all miss her when she retires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

               William Prien