Subject: Re: Coughing
From: "Pierre M. Bellemare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 1995 19:14:34 -0500

The fact that some people are coughing during concerts and opera
performances is perfectly understandable. They are breathing the same air
as hundreds of other people cooped up in what is, after all, a confined
space for periods of time that can be very long (e.g. first act of
GOTTERDAMMERUNG). Of course, there are ways of dealing with that problem,
some of them better or worse than others. The worst offenders IMHO are
people who takes literally minutes to unwrap a single lozenge, in the
hope, apparently, that they won't be noticed that way. (Just like people
in libraries who seem to think that they don't disturb anybody when they
start whispering.)

I'm not sure that carrying a pocketful of sticky unwrapped lozenges is
the solution. Why not unwrap the lozenge while keeping it inside the
pocket with the fabric muffling the sound? I've done it a few times and,
as far as I could see, nobody ever noticed anything.

Pierre M. Bellemare

grusst mir die Welt!