Subject: Re: Porter's Wagner
From: "Gabriel M. Kuper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 1995 14:30:48 +0100

> > (It is also to be remembered that the Ring libretti have a separate
> > literary existence as closet dramas.)
>
> In which form, of course, they are performed around the world and
> repeatedly recorded.   Not.

I did hear the Tristan love duet performed in this form on Bavarian
radio a while ago. This was as part of series of PDQ-like takeoffs
of Wagner, mostly as mildy amusing as the comparison suggests.

The exception was a perfectly straight reading of the Tristan duet
by 3 actors (one reading the stage directions). You could hear the audience
laughing non-stop. It was one of the funniest things I've heard--at least
as long as I could resist the temptation to imagine the music at the
same time...

(Do the Ring libretti have a similar separate existense as closet comedy?)

Gabriel Kuper