Subject: Maria Ewing as Dido
From: Andrew Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Nov 1995 18:05:23 GMT

We don't get Met ARABELLA TV productions in the UK, we get, or got on
Sunday,   DIDO and AENEAS filmed at Hampton Court Palace.  This
started reasonably well but gradually the set took over the opera and
one had little sense that Aeneas's departure was a crucial event in
the story.  Karl Daymond certainly has the looks, but Aeneas should
be cast from strength (in my opinion) and his "Jove's command must
be obeyed", etc. was rather feeble.

As for Lady Hall (as I still think of her), well, she pouted away and
the two of them even appeared briefly in a state of undress.  "When I
am laid in earth" sounded rather like a reading from the telephone
directory.  Most unsatisfactory.  Still, the Sorceress (Sally
Burgess) and her team were played straight, which was something.

The singers, seen mostly in close-up (yawn), were obviously miming to
what I think is a recent-ish recording.  Whoever the conductor was, I
don't think I'll be buying it.

Andrew ([log in to unmask])