Subject: MRF Records (was Question about recordings)
From: Tom Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Nov 1995 19:41:10 -0500

Dear List

At one time, I was closely involved with MRF Records writing liner notes and
trnslating libretti. They issued about 150 or so complete operas,
specializing in unusual works. Of course, there were loads of wonderful
Caballe recordings, as well as the usual Callas, Olivero, etc., but also
loads of rare Donizetti,  Mascagni, Mercadante,  and a separate Cherubini
series.  Fuggette was the founder, but died young and Bismarck Reine took
over in around 1973. They went on into the early 1980s, after which Bismarck
retired and moved South. There was relatively little Rossini (Mathilde di
Shabran, Elisabetta, Armida and Otello) and perhaps one Cimarosa.

There were quite a few releases of rare repertory which has not yet (to my
knowledge) appeared on CD. The 1976 Donizetti Pia, Mercadante's Virginia,
Meyerbeer's Etoile du Nord, Mascagnii's Parisina, Giordano's Mme. Sans Gene
and Siberia, etc. etc.

I may still have some of their old lists lying around somewhere.

I am sure they did the Callas Ifigenia in Tauris, but do not beleive they did
an Aulis.

Other important "private" labels of the time were  BJR, ERR, and Voce.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

Tom (Kaufman)