Subject: Re: EMI Record of Singing
From: Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 1995 11:13:02 -0500

Since there's been so much talk about the four-volume EMI set THE RECORD
OF SINGING I though it would be useful for me to repost some thoughts I had
said earlier.

There were several reviews of vol. 4 where opinions ran from mild
approval to negative.  Why?  At the outset, vol. 1 and 2 had
begun as a guide to the art of singing on the aegis of Michael Scott.

He was out of the project by the time of vol. 3.  More than one review
wrote that his lack of influence shifted the scope of the project from
one of being a study of singing where singers are selected as exemplars
of various national or stylistic schools, to a very different project,
one of resurrecting unusual, curious, or rare recordings.  I've listened
to vol. 4 a lot, and while I think many things are good and lovely to hear, I
also
think that many are idiosyncratic and not fairly representative of the
singers included.  There was even some controversy on the singers
who were and were not included (there are sure a lot of unknown UK singers,
while someone like Rise Stevens is not included).

By far, the most valuable thing to have come from this project was the
2-volume book by Michael Scott.  Since that is fully available and in
print, I would suggest people by that instead, and follow the discussions
for which recordings to buy.

Bob Kosovsky
Student, PhD Program in Music                   Librarian
Graduate Center                                 Music Division
City University of New York                     The New York Public Library
[log in to unmask]                      [log in to unmask]
                Listowner, [log in to unmask]
                Administrivia to:  [log in to unmask]
-------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------