Subject: Gruberova: pluses & minuses (sp?)
From: Nicolas Gounin & Cyrene Paparotti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 1995 09:55:07 -0500

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Nakamura Akira wrote:

> came Brady, who came out as a Gruberova fan, and much later Tim, although
> Brady has too many divas to adore :-) and Tim's passion for La Stupenda
> seems stronger. :-) Meanwhile, several powerful Gruberova detractors have
> also joined the opera-l.

I do not belong to either category, or maybe to both, depending on what
EG sings. My first experience wasd at the Opera bastille, back in 1989
(or 90). She did there one of the first vocal recitals, and her
performance was unforgettable. Although I do not remember all what she
sang, I was very impressed by a song cycle by Dvorak, and then by one
song she sang all in the high notes, all pianissimo, and a capella.

That day she did 5 encores, with I believe the fourth one being the Bell
Song!

However, when I listen to her Carmina Burana, I just do not agree with
her interpretation. Nothing with the voice quality or the sound itself,
ust the interpretation. I feel the same when I hear Caballe's Traviata,
where I get the feeling she abuses of piani (pianos?) because that's what
she does best...

Nick.