Subject: Gruberova: A little opera-l history
From: Nakamura Akira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 1995 06:43:26 -0800

Oh what joy!  As many of the old opera-l'ers know, I had been a lone,
vocal admirer of Edita Gruberova (alias Gruberova Groupie and Edita
Enthusiast) on the list for a long time.  Much to my astonishment, a lot
of opera fans in the US knew little about her, and I felt alone.  Then
came Brady, who came out as a Gruberova fan, and much later Tim, although
Brady has too many divas to adore :-) and Tim's passion for La Stupenda
seems stronger. :-) Meanwhile, several powerful Gruberova detractors have
also joined the opera-l.

Now we have Marco in Milan and Giovanni in Zurich!!  :-) :-) I can't help
but feel a little elated.  (Hey, my specialization is not music (FWIW, it
is Chomskian minimalist syntax), so I can act a bit like a teenage boy
once in a while when it comes to my passion, namely, opera!)

BTW, it is rumored that the Vienna Staatsoper will bring the _Linda di
Chamounix_, with Edita Gruberova as the title role, the next time they
visit Japan.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Nakamura Akira: [log in to unmask]
Japanese Language Center for International Students
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
"We're here, we're queer, and we love opera!" (c) Didi 1993