Subject: Re: Tristan at ENO
From: Jonathan Mortimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Nov 1995 22:10:51 -0800

Chris McCawley wrote:

>Having never been to the ENO *nor* seen Tristan, I called last night and a
>very nice man sold me a ticket to same in February (10).  I was pleased that
>he didn't tell me I had to wait until a month before and wait in a line for
>five hours.  Very friendly encounter.

       My experience with getting tickets for the Coliseum has always been
more pleasant than with most other companies.  Incidentally, the box office
manager used to be an American, I believe (can't imagine how that happened!).

>I now have a copy of the program announcement and I see that Tristan is being
>sung by "the American tenor George Gray... making his house debut."  Who is he?
>I never heard of him.  Is he any good?  More importantly is he able to sing
>Tristan?  Has he been lurking in Europe and that's why I don't know him?

       I'm not sure where George Gray has been lurking, but I saw him do an
Otello in Sacramento a few years ago, and he was not at all bad; I've
certainly seen worse.  He also sang in the Mahler 8th with the Atlanta
Symphony Orchestra, which was recorded by Telarc that same weekend, so you
can check his voice out on that recording.  I'd say he's as likely to be an
adequate Tristan as anybody else I can think of today--which is not to say
he's likely to extinguish the memories of Melchior or Vickers....

Jonathan Mortimer
San Francisco