Subject: Linda di Chamounix
From: Nakamura Akira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Nov 1995 17:18:31 -0800

Currently, there are several CDs of Donizetti's _Linda di Chamounix_.
This is more or less a prima donna vehicle, so the most important
criterion is, "who sings the title role?"  By far, the best recording is
Edita Gruberova's recording on a Swiss label Nightingale, set up
primarily to record her works (since major labels seem to be interested
only in the name recognition of CHeryl Studer and the like).  Gruberova
is simply fabulous here--her greatness lies in the fact that in her
singing, the great depth of feeling and the display of fabulous technique
coexist happily.  Sirval is sung by the Nightingale tenor Don Bernadini.
Although he is no Pavarotti (when the latter had fabulous C's and even
D's), but given the dearth of bel canto tenore di grazia, I have to be
thankful that Blake and Matteuzzi were not on Nightingale. <meow>

Another recent reocrding of the said opera worth mentioning is Mariella
Devia's recording on ARTS 447151-2.  Devia sings all the notes, and many
of them quite beautifully, and with technical mastery.  However, her
Linda is a bit monotonous/boring, as she fails to portray the character
with deeply felt emotions.

Avoid the Stella CD on Philips!  She has no business singing Donizetti.

Nakamura Akira: [log in to unmask]
Japanese Language Center for International Students
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
"We're here, we're queer, and we love opera!" (c) Didi 1993