Subject: Re: Opera Quiz
From: "Pierre M. Bellemare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Nov 1995 16:12:00 -0500

Dear Darlene,

Yes, I think you should submit this question to the Met Quiz, because
it's a very good one.

A few answers follow :

Aeneas in Purcell's DIDO AND AENEAS (usually, but not always sung by a tenor)
Idomeneo in Mozart's IDOMENEO (usually sung by tenor, and most definitely
a father)
Parsifal, but only in LOHENGRIN (where he does not appear)
Baba Mustapha in Cornelius' BARBIER VON BAGDAD
Jason in Cherubini's MEDEA
Pollione in NORMA
Arvino in LOMBARDI
Faust in Gounod's FAUST (but not for long)
Eleazar in LA JUIVE (well, that's quite complicated...)
Enee in LES TROYENS
Spalanzani in LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN (even more complicated than Eleazar)
Armel in Chabrier's GWENDOLINE
Herod in SALOME (only a stepfather, though, but what a step-daughter!)
Egist in ELEKTRA (same remark, except that, this time, there are two of them)
The Emperor in DIE FRAU OHNE SCHATTEN is SOON to become one
Menelas in DIE AEGYPTISCHE HELENA
Pollux in DIE LIEBE DER DANAE
Pinkerton in BUTTERFLY
Ulysse in Faure's PENELOPE
Pelleas in PELLEAS ET MELISANDE (who knows???? - but warning : the role
is not even always sung by a tenor...)
Oedipus in OEDIPUS REX (but, once again, what a family!)

This is only a short list, and there must be others. In general, however,
tenors would seem to have some difficulty reproducing themselves. That
may explain why there are so few of them.

Pierre M. Bellemare