Subject: Re: Le Docteur Miracle
From: "Andrew H. Lisowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Nov 1995 12:46:52 -0500

Yes, Bizet and Lecocq each wrote a comic opera to the same Le Docteur
Miracle libretto in 1857 for a contest sponsored by Offenbach.  Bizet and
Lecocq shared first place, so it is logical for the two works to be
performed together.  (Rather like the logic of doing Prima la musica and
Der Schauspieldirektor together as mentioned last week.)

I don't know the Lecoq version at all, but the Bizet is short and lasts
about one hour.  I imagine the Lecocq must be of about the same length.
The Bizet version is often performed in the USA by local companies and
opera workshop groups.

Andy Lisowski