Subject: Auger's fate was not in her stars
From: Jared Weinberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Nov 1995 09:05:14 WET

Mark Shulgasser wrote (in part) on 9 Nov 1995 about his encounter with
Arleen Auger:

>  ...The four of us went out to dinner after the concert, and Lee and I
successfully (I hope) concealed our reaction to his songs with expressions
of the great pleasure that the rest of the recital had given. She struck
me as being a strangely impersonal and detached woman. When it was
mentioned that I am an astrologer (great way to meet singers!) she plucked
her horoscope out of her handbag; it was literally at the top, one corner
peeking out, as if she were permanently and desperately in search of the
answer to the question Who am I? I recall that there was a powerful and
exact grand trine attached to the midheaven which I interpreted as the
vampirization of her personal essence by the uniquely focused musical
ability. I recall that when I asked her a simple personal question, where
does she live, she said she didn't really know. A strange, lost woman. She
might have done a wonderful Olympe. It didn't surprise me that she died of
a brain tumor; her wiring was definitely eccentric. <

The *very last thing* that "strange, lost" and "strangely impersonal and
detached"" people "permanently and desperately in search of the answer to
the question Who am I?" need is a horoscope telling them that it's in
their stars. When astrology is done as a lark it's fine; but -- to mention
just a few: (1) it can lead to a devastating self-fulfilling prophesy; (2)
people may not get early psychological or medical help; (3) it derails
people from an interest or career in the sciences. (Few people know that
geneticists use lines in the hand to help in diagnosis -- these are *not*
the well-known lines that palm readers use, BTW). As a bio-sci major in
college I had a field course in ornithology; it reinforced my view that
astrology is for the birds.

Jared Weinberger, Strauss maven in the Land of Verdi
Universita' di Bologna
[log in to unmask]    "Musik ist eine heilige Kunst"