Subject: About Anita Cerquetti
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:56:15 -0500

Hello List -

I will quote her from the Rasponi book "Last of the Prima Donnas"
in reference to her retirement.

"I have known all about the talk and gossip and the more it developed
the less I wanted to discuss my retirement. None of the rumors was
true.  My father got hopelessly ill and I cancelled ... Then..Mario
Rossini to whom I owed everything passed away unexpectedly and I was
plunged into despair.  After the birth of Gioia (her baby) I could not
make up my mind to resume.  The more I thought about it the less I
wanted to begin again. I had been blessed with twelve wonderful
years and I finally decided that they had been sufficient"

At no point does she acknowledge any personal illness or vocal
crisis. That's it for what it's worth.  If anything can be judged
from the Holland Nabucco performances, which were the last that we
know of, she is telling it straight.