Subject: Cat duet - all is revealed
From: Andrew Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Nov 1995 14:32:39 GMT

Bob K mentioned the "Bollettino del Centro rossiniano di studi".
Ric and Gabriel duet thus:

> > As an old timer Bollettino subscriber, I had the chance to check all the
> > last 15 years issues and couldn't find anything about this matter. There are
> > two possibilities: this article was published before 1980 (and this way I'd
> > find strange everybody would continue to assign the Cat duet to Rossini), or
>
> Not everyone--the worklist in New Grove (around 1980?) lists it under spurious
> or doubtful works, so eveyone else assigning it to Rossini can
> be due either to laziness or marketing (record companies are
> notorious for taking decades to realize that something isn't
> by a famous composer--and then decide it isn't worth recording, as a
result...)

Am I the only possessor on the list of Richard Osborne's excellent
"Rossini" (Dent 1986, Master Musicians series)?  On p.179 he refers
to Rodrigo's Act 2 aria "Ah, come mai non senti" in OTELLO, with its
"fiendishly difficult high-lying cabaletta".  The footnote at this
point says:

`Part of this cabaletta and part of the Otello/Iago duet in the same
act were joined by a certain G. Berthold to the "Katte-Cavatine" of
the Danish composer C.E.F. Weyse (1774-1842) to make the famous "Cat
Duet" or "Duetto buffo di due gatti" which is often wrongly
attributed to Rossini.  See Edward J. Crafts, `A Tale of Two Cats',
BdCRdS, 1975, No.3, p.5.'

So now you know.  (It was just another five years back, Ric.)

[BdCRdS reminds me of Vin de Pays des Cotes de Gascogne which I
always think of as V de P de C de G].

Now, who's heard of G Berthold?  (Or, indeed C.E.F.Weyse?) (Or
Edward J Crafts, the Sherlock Holmes de nos jours!)

Andrew ([log in to unmask])