Subject: Re: Trittico (excerpts) from the Met as heard on WQXR today.
From: Michael Delos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Dec 2018 19:25:00 -0500

I thought Alvarez was going to burst a blood vessel - my god, that's some of the most
awful singing I've ever heard on a broadcast.  He was essentially just screaming
everything above a G. In general, there were a lot of frayed voices throughout the
afternoon.  TABARRO has no drama other than the last 5 minutes, and it needs all the
help it can get as it swims through endless FANCIULLA parlando with no melody that
stays in the ear.  Gripping performances can make it seem better than it is, but today
was simply dreadful.

SUOR with a soprano who doesn't have a free top is a LONG 50 minutes.

SCHICCHI fared best, though the tenor was over-parted. Domingo
was fine, if you don't care that he's not a baritone. Arguably it's the least
objectionable role his baritone list, as no one expects Schicchi to be a singer
in the grand line - it's a buffo part and could almost be sung sprechstimme and still
make it's effect.

NOT one of the Mets finest hours. . . .