Subject: Trittico (excerpts) from the Met as heard on WQXR today.
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Dec 2018 17:35:08 -0500

Hello everybody

I did not give it my undivided attention, but I do have a few
observations -

Tabarro - Amber Wagner nailed the top C, and nothing else.
Even it was screamy, but it found its mark. I heard little of Alvarez,
andvwhat ai heard of Gagnidze, left me wishing I had heard less
of him. Not a good opener!

Suor Angelica - Worse! Opalais never had much going for her
except her looks, and today was no exception. Her voice defines
"worn" and the top is just about non existent. You cannot cast this
role in that kind of shape. I did not hear the Principessa section.
What a disappointing ending to what is, when well vocalized, a
cathartic finale!

Gianni Scicchi - Lauretta and Rinuccio brought little to their
music, and Rinuccio (Attala Ayan) was a study in how to oversing
with obvious strain. She was better than that and she also had solid
top notes. Placido Domingo remains a miracle of steady tone, rock
solid intonation and textual awareness. He was the best thing about
the afternoon, by far, except for the music, which is superb,
from the opening notes of Tabarro to the last moments of Schicchi.

De Billy's conducting and the ensembles were fine!

I was happy enough just to hear the genius that is Puccini!

Bob