Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 07:57:04 -0500

Tenoringa wrote:  "I seem to remember a mention from Harvey Sachs,
either parenthetically in his book on Toscanini (I searched for the mention)
or in a interview I heard with him, that Puccini pronounced the opera's
name without the final "t", and he noted that in the conversations with
Toscanini recorded by his son there was no final "t" when he mentioned the
opera. I found that very surprising as I've always pronounced the "t", given
rules of Italian pronunciation. If someone could find that quote it might
clear things up. However, I don't think it matters ALL that much and I'll
keep pronouncing the "t" regardless, preferring to live in blissful willful
ignorance."

I too will keep using the "T" as do practically all singers in almost all
productions I've seen. Even Juntwait and Mary Jo include the "t".

In Budden's bio on Puccini, there is something Puccini wrote that always
made me think he wanted the "t" silent when he penned a line to his  that
could be construed as a rhyme: 'No! no! no!  Turandot, no!' was his
heartfelt cry to Adami." (pp. 437-8)