Subject: Re: Turandot
From: tenoringa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 12:20:52 +0000

 I seem to remember a mention from Harvey Sachs, either parenthetically in his book on Toscanini (I searched for the mention) or in a interview I heard with him, that Puccini pronounced the opera's name without the final "t", and he noted that in the conversations with Toscanini recorded by his son there was no final "t" when he mentioned the opera. I found that very surprising as I've always pronounced the "t", given rules of Italian pronunciation. If someone could find that quote it might clear things up. However, I don't think it matters ALL that much and I'll keep pronouncing the "t" regardless, preferring to live in blissful willful ignorance.

 While on the Turandot subject, I'm just asking:  how did the legendary mezzo soprano Pauline Viardot pronounce HER name?????????????