Subject: Re: TURANDOT
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 07:15:31 -0500

But...if we're really going to get nitpicky (and this whole thread certainly has been that
way, lol) --

"Garcia" may properly have the "Castillian" sibilant as David points out, but Spanish has
no schwa sound (all vowels are pure), so it wouldn't be "gar-THEE-uh" but rather "gar-
THEE-ah." (An Americanized pronunciation would typically substitute more of an "uh"
schwa-ish vowel for that last syllable, but a Spaniard would definitely not.)

Likewise, Pauline's married name would not, in authentic French, be "vee-ahr-DOH,"
rather it would be "vee-ahr-doh" - as true French has no syllabic stress (something that is
admittedly difficult for us English speakers to master, as our language does have very
definite stresses, and we're way too used to speaking everything that way).

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 07:36:27 +0000, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Les:
>If this is a question in earnest: with no final "T". Pauline Garcia ( presumably
pronounced  "gahr-THEE- uh") took a husband, Louis Viardot, who was French, so "vee-
ahr-DOH".

>The same with current French mezzo Lucile Richardot, 19th century Belgian
violinist/composer Charles de Bériot (Maria  Malibran's husband , so Viardot's brother-
in-law), 19th century Belgian mezzo/soprano Desirée Artôt ( Viardot's student), 20th
century actress Brigitte Bardot and 20th century Swiss/French pianist Alfred Cortot (
rhymes, aptly, with "collabo").