Subject: That Ghiorghiu rag
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Dec 2018 22:39:19 -0500

It is always disappointing to me when  singer “write” a
Puff piece, directed at self  hagiography or recording sales.

J Faure is my model. He wrote a vocal manual with many interesting essays and useful exercises. I frankly love it and refer to it often.

Viardot wrote a book with thoughts or perhaps an article: I only saw an excerpt, explaining how she made the mistake of singing anything she felt like, which shortened her career. She did not permit her singers make the same mistake.

I recently bought two books of her exercises.

Frances. Alda wrote a charming book with some opinions of important singers and a bit too much about her romance with Gatti, but free of selfhagiography.

Alfredo Kraus left a series of master classes you can find on YouTube.

There are some smart singers whose writings are about the work. I love to read them but a good many of these books can lack perspective. I think many good singers are not very verbal, and not inclined to be analytical. It says nothing about their worth as artists on stage.

RP

Sent from my iPhone