Subject: Re: That Gheorghiu "rag"
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Dec 2018 21:21:08 -0600

I'm kinda surprised that Angela Gheorghiu still gets any attention at all.  Now THERE was a soprano that I thought would be destined for real Callas-like greatness and stardom.  That Solti Traviata in 1994 was a revelation and she was vocally and physically ravishing.  I mean REALLY beautiful.  But despite all of those spectacular early appearances in Chicago, the Met, Covent Garden and everywhere else, she somehow got derailed somewhere.  Her voice seems to have held up, but she certainly never fulfilled the promise that I held for her when I first encountered her.