Subject: That Gheorghiu "rag"
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Dec 2018 17:14:06 -0500

My dear Paul Padillo:
You are a much nicer person than I am.  You actually got through that
piece of you-know-what and didn't end up screaming!

It so happens that I simply adore Angela Gheorghiu's voice -- kind of in the
same way that I love Wagner's music and HVK's conducting, if you catch
my drift.

Except for a few interesting pages which describe the differences in fachs
and things of that educational nature, this book was nothing more than an
excuse to praise oneself under the guise of pretending to be enamored
of "art!"

On a majority of pages one can find people's expressions of awe with her
from childhood on and compliments of how she has the most beautiful
soprano voice ever.  A plethora of famous singers (you name 'em, they're
there!) extol her virtues on practically every page of the book.

At one point she mentions how while doing a "Traviata" at the Chicago
Lyric she flew to NY during rehearsals (only to find herself fired when she
returned) to be with her then husband Roberto Alagna who, according to
her, requested her support while he was doing "Aida" at the Met.
(No mention that the stunning Anna Netrebko was his "Aida" in their Met
performance).  Wonder why she skipped that part.

I have a true respect for books but found the nearest trash can and
gleefully discarded it.