Subject: Re: Turandot pronunciation summation - case closed
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Dec 2018 13:29:41 -0500

Impossible to sing the “dot” syllable? Pure crap!

Not impossible for any Dot-tor’ Bartolo I have heard try to explain the
pronunciation of his name to his home invader.

Nor for any Violetta clinging to hope! “Ma il dottore a sperar pure
m'esorta”

I could go on....

We can probably be sure “TurandoT” was not Gozzi’s attempt to Frenchify his
heroine.

“Turandotte” being a frequent spelling in the urtext is a concrete sign of
how it was to be pronounced.

Let’s not use singers as standards for pronounciation. For many of them it
is more about production, convenience, breath and ease. That is why we have
Milanov’s “fuggiam, fuggiam, foo-hah

!” In the Nile scene.

Raisa is not the best nor last word on this.

I will concede that the final consonant in TurandoT tends to disappear when
it is from the mouth of certain singers. )It is a native language thing.)