Subject: Re: Stunned After Last Few Measures of an Opera
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Dec 2018 17:36:41 -0500

I'll agree Butterfly is a series of "effective" bits but at the end I feel
manipulated - even more so by the ghastly Suor Angelica.    Outside of
"Fanciulla" Puccini leaves me believing all my "buttons" have been pushed
and perhaps due to a stubborn nature, I'm resistant.

Now, when it comes to "Deh! *non volerli vittime*" and those magnificent
twin climaxes in "Norma" I'm usually a mass of weeping / quaking jello -
totally in awe of how the power of music can distill emotion.  Donizetti
evokes the same in Anna Bolena's "Al dolce guidami,"  as well as Rossini in
"Giorno d' Orrore" from "Semiramide."

Chacun à *son goût*