Subject: Re: Stunned After Last Few Measures of an Opera
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Dec 2018 15:24:41 -0600

And mine occurs shortly before that, when Sharpless asks the child his name and Butterfly tells him to reply, “Today my name is Sorrow. But when my father returns it will be Joy!”

Years ago, when I was lecturing on opera, every time I reached that place in the story I choked up and had to pause long enough to regain my composure.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Dec 4, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Butterfly is a full hankie opera but my cry point occurs towards the end of
> the 2nd act - Una nave di guerra - when she and Suzuki spot Pinkerton's
> ship entering the harbor.

“True patriotism springs from a belief in the dignity of the individual, freedom and equality not only for Americans but for all people on earth, universal brotherhood and good will, and a constant and earnest striving toward the principles and ideals on which this country was founded.” - Eleanor Roosevelt, diplomat, author, and lecturer