Subject: Re: Stunned After Last Few Measures of an Opera
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Dec 2018 14:36:38 -0500

The first time I heard Butterfly as a youngster (maybe 12 or 13 at this point) just starting
to get into opera, it was via a recording (it may have been the 2nd De Los Angeles one,
but I'm not positive about that). I knew the basic plot, and knew what the ending would
be, but nothing prepared me for the sheer musical wallop of Butterfly's final aria to her
son, etc. I will admit that I found myself crying afterward - not just shedding a few tears,
but a full-on real hard crying spell which truly surprised me at that age. That final scene
still has the power to move me so much, even if maybe I'm not quite as spooked by it as
I was that first time. But in particular, even knowing full well what goes into the craft of
being an actor/singer and having to deal with dramatic moments of raw, enormously
heightened emotions without letting it get too personally "hot," I always marvel in
particular at sopranos who are real-life mothers, especially mothers with younger children
- how difficult must it be to have to sing this scene without falling apart?