Subject: Re: Stunned After Last Few Measures of an Opera
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Dec 2018 11:01:16 -0500

Donald, when reading your posts I often have the sense that you live according to a set of
fixed ideas and notions that forces you to question (though never seemingly to a
satisfactory conclusion for yourself ) anyone who does not share your view . . .  that they do
not, perhaps, understand the world, or art, or perhaps, anything else within it.

Try as I have over my life, I’ve never figured out how someone can see and experience
things so radically different than I do in my little world, but it’s never really mattered and
even sharing the joy differently has brought more satisfaction than frustration.  Ultimately,
it doesn’t really matter, does it?

As the one you cited who listed “both DIE MEISTERSINGER and PARSIFAL” I must state you
appear to have answered your own question:  “but what else do they have in common
except an inevitability so carefully crafted that no other outcome is even imaginable . . . are
we really not talking about what was once called “le coup de theatre?”  I’m not certain what
you mean in that while I prefer to experience opera live and in person, the effect made on
me is remarkably similar even when just listening to a recording or a broadcast.  Wagner
did not intend his works to be merely “heard” so I must ask, are the endings of Parsifal and
Meistersinger also “coup de theatre” even if unintended, as we experience them only
aurally?  Does it matter?  Is my reaction irrelevant?  It may be to others, but not to me,
since I can only experience it through my own filters and sensibilities, much like (or exactly
like) you do.

The original question posed asked us to share what operas (specifically their endings) had
the effect of stunning us.  I, and others, have answered, if not to your satisfaction, honestly,
which was, I believe the point.  That you don’t share it is of no relevance – though some
interest (at least to me).

There is an inherent smugness in the opening pair of sentences with which you began your
post, followed by the zinger suggesting some sort of abandonment of the senses or of our
comprehension of language.  Contained therein invariably seems to be the endless
argument of “then versus now," with an increasing contempt for “now.”  There may may be
a perfectly logical argument in there somewhere, but ultimately complaining about how someone else enjoys their art, and questioning or minimizing the experience of others has
always been bad form.  Then, and now.

p.