Subject: Re: Stunned After Last Few Measures of an Opera
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Dec 2018 02:30:44 +0000

For me the most stunning opera ending remains Elektra's. I can't imagine
what it's like to perform the role; I know it is completely exhausting
to watch it, and nothing can possibly follow it.

Except, of course, for Menotti's light opera "Amelia Goes to the Ball,"
which the Met used to occasionally pair with Elektra. I've always
wondered what Rose Pauly's reaction was when she was told they were
going to do another opera after her Elektra. I hope it was unprintable.