Subject: Re: Mefistofele (excerpts) from the Met today, as heard on WQXR
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:35:15 -0500

David

You are much too kind, but I very much appreciate the compliment.

Remember, I only heard the Prison Scene to the opera's conclusion.
So, my comments about all the singers must be tempered by the
limits I noted on Saturday. I thought Fabiano sounded fine
in the "Lontano" duet, and that he nailed a couple of tough tops
in the final scene. But, I also said, that the Red Flags are still flying.

For the rest, Van Horn is, I think, a very fine vocalist with a very
attractive voice, but, I did not hear the bulk of his music, including,
especially the Prologue, which defines the role. When he sang
"Ella  giammai m'amo" at the Tucker Gala, I noted that the voice
lacked "gravitas" and resonance at the bottom, but that he had
a wonderful freedom at the top, which is the hallmark of
Bass-Baritones. Time will tell in which direction his career will go.
Perhaps he will be a Siepi, who was able to do Figaro and Gurnemanz
with equal success. Or, it may be more limited in scope, but I am
confident that his voice and vocalism will serve him and us very well.

About Meade, the less said the better.

Enough!

Bob