Subject: Re: Domingo's Yearly income
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Dec 2018 12:12:08 -0500

I find it totally fine that some people find Domingo an abomination in his
present repertory (as some people found him close to an abomination in
his tenor years - Ed Rosen comes to mind). It is very much a matter of
taste but also of what is important for you.

I can easily understand why some people say that Domingo sounds wrong
singing baritone parts - obviously very much a valid point.

What I find difficult to accept is when people - and Kiwi comes to mind but
there are others - indicate that people who continue to enjoy Domingo
don't know how Verdi should, are star-f**kers, are members of a cult etc. I
find this to be really arrogant.

Take me, for instance. I have listened to opera from I was conceived (my
mother sang The Bartered Bride being pregnant with me) and I sing
myself. I have maybe 1000 operatic LPs and three to four times that
number of CDs, collected over the last 35 years. I listen to opera every and
have listened to I do not know how many broadcasts, pirates etc. The idea
that I only continue to enjoy Domingo because I'm brainwashed, stupid,
unmusical, do not know better, well, sorry, but that is simply not correct.

I saw Domingo live in Traviata a few years back Paris. And he was great.
Still a big voice, great legato, great style etc. His first five minutes maybe
something approaching a wobble but quickly gone. Did he sound like eg
Bruson (whom I absolutely love in this part) - or another of my favourite
baritones, Cappuccilli? No, obviously not. And did he sometimes (or mabe
even mostly) sound like a tenor? Probably. But the sound, the style etc. All
that made it worthwhile for me.

Of course, others will feel differently - and that is just great. But that does
not mean (I think) that I am necessarily any less of a connoisseur than e.g.
Kiwi.

Kind regards

Ulrik