Subject: Re: what kind of analogy is F.D.R. and Elizabeth II with Domingo???
From: Robert Cardinalli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Dec 2018 14:24:46 +0200

Thank you---you have IMO underscored the point I was making.  Not sure if
the protracted lesson in US history was necessary (that was certainly
misplaced---your word) since my point was not to question the vital
continuing role each of the 4 persons played in their professional careers.
At the risk of sounding like a lunatic (your word) it was pretty clear I was
being facetious by saying that the 4 examples held back others from
advancing in their careers, in fact referencing what Maestro Domingo is
sometimes accused of, i.e. refusing to step aside to let "real" baritones
with youthful voices and on the cusp of a burgeoning career, take center
stage.  Given the small number of performances in the baritone range that
Domingo gives each year, unless you want to include his concert appearances
and recitals as well, they hardly make a microscopic dent in the total
number of opera performances staged each year globally.  FDR, QEII, Abbott,
Toscanini, Domingo, and so many others like them, continued to make
important contributions late into life.  It has been argued that some of
these people did so unwisely (e.g. FDR almost certainly led himself to an
early grave by taking on that fourth term in office), and late performing
Domingo is forever negatively compared with Warren, Merrill and
Cappuccilli---he seems to have reconciled himself to that inevitabilty.
Since I am a lunatic, I don't expect you will grasp the logic but then you
misread the tone and intent of the original email, so I can anticipate as
much.

Robert