Subject: Re: Mefistofele (excerpts) from the Met today, as heard on WQXR
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 20:21:13 -0500

Hi Bob and list,

Just to clarify, I was talking about the true bass voice and listed those
with such timbre who sang Mefistofele. That list was not expressing my
opinion about their interpretations and whether I liked each, or not. I
ended the list with ellipses, to which, of course, I could have added
Ghiaurov, Christoff, Tozzi, and a few more basses. As for those who
impressed me most on their recordings, I would single out De Angelis,
Siepi, and Ramey (in his prime, 1989 San Francisco production). I've never
heard Neri in this role but there is the recording and would love to hear
it one day. Alas, I never had a chance to see this opera live as it is not
in the regular repertory.

Best, Vesna

Best, Vesna