Subject: Re: Mefistofele (excerpts) from the Met today, as heard on WQXR
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 18:32:38 -0600

And for all these years I thought I was the only one who didn’t appreciate Treigle. (I don’t always voice my dislikes on this forum because some of my colleagues out there take offense when I make negative comments about some of their favorite singers, none of whom will be named at this time). Bob and I appear to be in the minority about him.

I only saw him once - as the villains in “Hoffmann,” back in the days when NYCO toured to Los Angeles. I found his voice then, and on recordings, cavernous and hollow with an unappealing timbre. But he was very proficient at leaping from one end of the stage to the other. One can be a fine singing actor without the voice of say, Pinza, but he should have some semblance of a voice. The vocally un-gifted Nicola Rossi-Lemeni, about whom I commented a day or two ago, was also noted for his acting ability, albeit less flamboyant than Treigle.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Dec 1, 2018, at 6:03 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Leaving the rest aside, Norman Treigle? He had NO voice. I saw/heard
> him in Giulio Cesare and Mefistofele, and, though he had a fabulous
> stage manner, his voice was among the least impressive I ever heard,
> in any category, from Coloratura Soprano to Basso Profondo. Ar least
> to my ears;-)

“Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.”  H. L. Mencken