Subject: Re: Mefistofele (excerpts) from the Met today, as heard on WQXR
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 18:45:57 -0500

Ditto to all except that, while I agree about Van Horn as a great talent,
in my view his voice didn't have the heft for the kind of bass needed for
this role (De Angelis, Siepi, Neri, Treigle, Ramey, ...). He is a
bass-baritone and it showed, but what a magnificent singing and he did have
the vocal range for the role, just not the right timbre to my ear. I do
love this opera, though it is uneven as Bob said, but it has many of the
glorious parts that I would not tire from listening over and over again.

Vesna