Subject: Re: Mefistofele (excerpts) from the Met today, as heard on WQXR
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 18:12:01 -0500

I heard it pretty much the way Bob did today, however I listened to all of it.
The prologue was stunning in its beauty with stellar choral singing and orchestra playing.
Fabbiano did fine with “Dai campi” but sounds continually forced to my ears.  I never hear relaxed, free tone coming from him.
I liked Van Horn very much.  He sounded continually in control and his interpretation was always interesting.
I simply do not care for Meade’s voice.  I do not hear beauty, color or expression.
Check was ok.
I liked the choral work better than Bob.  They have a huge variety of singing to do in this piece and they do it well.
The performance was compelling for me which usually means that the conductor was doing his job.
This piece deserves to be performed more often.

Ron Magnuson