Subject: Mefistofele (excerpts) from the Met today, as heard on WQXR
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 17:24:57 -0500

Hello everybody

I listened from the Prison Scene to the end. I had intended to hear
the Prologue, too, which is a Wow, no matter how poorly sung, and I
forgot.

There is definitely an hour of good to great music in Mefistofele, and,
outside of the Prologue, I think I heard all of it. Even some sections
of the scenes I heard are hard to take, at least for me.But, there is
some very impressive stuff

The Singers

Christian Van Horn is a very fine, maybe great singer, with range,
musicality and depth of tone. I very much look forward to seeing
how his career develops. I suspect greatness is in those cards.

Angela Meade continues to disappoint me. Bad intonation, unpleasant
entrances and exits from trills, too loud most of the time, and much
too much "chest" all of the time. I've said this before; I'll never like
her much.

Michael Fabiano was in pretty good shape today. At times he shows
strain. but then, a superb top above the staff will pop out. The voice
is in better shape than a year ago, but red flags are still flying.

Elena deserves better than Jennifer Check. She actually has among
the most impressive music in the opera, and it will thrill when it
receives the respect it deserves.

An aside - I have no idea what that audience was responding to when
they greeted Ms. Meade at the final curtain. They certainly did not agree
with me, but then, that happens as often as not.

The conducting sounded fine, though the chorus and orchestra were
far from perfect, and the balances on the radio were not good.

Bob