Subject: Returning to Pilar Lorengar
From: Sylvia Rienzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 13:22:28 -0800

After the discussion of Pilar Lorengar a few weeks ago I made quite a collection of her recordings.  So many that I’ve been pressed to listen to them all.  Today I finally played the CD of highlights from Madame Butterfly where she is joined by Fritz Wunderlich, Hermann Prey and Sieglinde Wagner and I am already on my third time listening to it.    I find myself lost for superlatives - for me, a desert  island recording.

The one review of it on Amazon reviews it perfectly, much better than I could:
“This is one of the most beautiful Madama Butterfly's ever recorded! Pilar Lorengar is stunning - she manages the transition from the young naïve woman of Act I to the tragic heroine of the final with convincing dramatics and the voice is beautiful throughout. Her silvery tone is gorgeous. Wunderlich is a great Pinkerton and his tone is steady and his voice pairs well with that of his Butterfly. The sound is very atmospheric and full. A hidden treasure and if you have difficulty finding it, you will likely have more luck on the German Amazon site as the recording is in German.”

Sylvia