Subject: Re: . Il Trittico recordings
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 20:51:51 +0000

Interesting, Max!
I heard the TABARRO of this Viennese production in the June 1980 Festwochen. Far and away the best evenings I ever spent with Zschau and Atlantov, both very well suited to their roles. Our Michele was Taddei, who had sung a *fantastic* Falstaff under Patane the night before ( Lorengar and Araiza also fantastic, Ludwig, Ghazarian and Milcheva good, Kerns OK but made no impact). Taddei was then 63 and a huge favorite in Vienna, when he had first appeared in 1946-- he got a thunderous ( and deserved) ovation after Michele's aria. I think his Michele the best male verismo performance I've ever seen. And Zschau and Atlantov were both very strong.