Subject: Keenlyside careens into DC for delicious liederabend with Martineau(11-30-18)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 15:25:53 -0500

> It's hard to believe that baritone Simon Keenlyside has never sung in DC and that it took this long for him to have a recital debut here! At 59, his baritone is still wonderfully creamy and delicious and he offered up a program that might have been considered too archaic by some, but it was truly in the tradition of the great liederabend in a sold out house to boot. The program page below was adjusted prior to the curtain and the final Schubert began the program, followed by the Poulenc" La travaille du peinture," with the Brahms, Poulenc & ravel after the intermission. We did get three encores as well: Schubert's buffo "L'incanot degli occhi," Faure's "Le secret" and Schubert's "Hiedenroslein."
>
>     JOHANNES BRAHMS
>     (1833–1897)
>
>     “Nachtigallen schwingen”
>     “Verzagen”
>     “Über die Heide”
>     “O kühle Wald”
>     “Nachtwandler”
>     “Es schauen die Blumen”
>
>      FRANCIS POULENC
>     (1899–1963)
>     “Paganini”
>     Quatre poémes de Guillaume Apollinaire
>        “L'Anguille”
>        “Carte postale”
>        “Avant le cinéma”
>        “1904”
>     Suite française:
>        II. Pavane: Grave et mélancolique
>
>     MAURICE RAVEL
>     (1875–1937)
>     Histoires naturelles
>        “Le paon”
>        “Le grillon”
>        “Le cygne”
>        “Le martin-pêcheur”
>        “La pintade”
>     Intermission
>
>      FRANCIS POULENC
>     (1899–1963)
>     Le travaille du peintre
>        “Pablo Picasso”
>          “Ma rc  Chagall”
>          “Geo rges  B raque ”
>          “Juan  G ris ”
>          “Paul  Klee”
>          “Juan Mi ró ”
>          “Jacques  Villon ”
>
>     FRANZ SCHUBERT
>     (1797–1828)
>     “Liebesbotschaft”
>     “Alinde”
>     “Ständchen”
>     “An die Lei er ”
>     “Nachtstück”
>     “An den Mond in eine r Herstnacht ”
>     “ Herstlied ”
>     “Abschied ”

I have to say I was happy to have the Schubert first as it would have been quite long and too much for a last set after 2 hours! I loved the amazingly soft attack on "Meiner gedenkend," in the first "Liebesbotschft" and indeed this was a common approach of his making each word so special. Sir Simon tends to be a bit over-antsy on stage and we all joked about him and Bostridge being in the Kennedy Center this week. I love "Le travail du peinture," but can't recall ever hearing it in its entirety as opposed to a song or two; they are so reminiscent of Dialogues!

the second Poulenc songs got laughs and he picked up a water bottle when he sang, "mon eau de Vichy," in "L'Anguille," but it was the Ravel that he seemed so comfortable with almost mini-acting each animal to perfection. His guinea fowl ("Le pintade") was sung so fast I actually saw the little bird scampering to and fro in my mind!

A superb highlight was the Poulenc Pavane for Piano solo which I yearned to hear the whole work ("Le suite francaise"). Mr. Martineau is always a consummate performer and partner in his welcome recital visits to DC.